Bonus Post: Mario Golf Super Rush First Impressions


 (Image Source: Gamingbolt.com)

I know I need to return the New Pokémon Snap at some point as I did promise to cover it further, and yes we are in the middle of a themed month. But I decided I wanted to give some bonus content as well, and I have a couple more bonus posts planned that will just land in the middle of certain themed months as bonus content on top of already scheduled posts. I picked up Mario Golf Super Rush, and wanted to share my first thoughts after a few hours of gameplay. 

I have not played the story mode yet, but rather played some rounds of golf and some of the new modes added as well as an online match or two. So what did I think? This game is good, but needs a patch or two, some of the base interface issues like wind direction, active obstacles, and of course an arrow showing where your ball is going to go. The last one appears sporadically and it baffles me, because it could just be there at all times but isn't. 

The graphics and music are great and there even is a super fun opening movie. Then you fire up the game and you are greeted by an adventure mode, solo mode, training, and a section that has single and multiplayer options. There is standard golf, speed golf, battle golf, and online play. Standard golf is fun, speed golf and battle golf are great hectic fun, and I will get to online play in a minute. I had a pretty fun time even with the missing issues that I hope get patched in, and has some different options to spice up the gameplay, including a decent variety of courses to unlock with more promised to come soon for free as add ons. Speed golf and battle golf are all about getting into the hole under par and as quick as possible, the former on the typical courses, the other in an arena with obstacles and items. These both also are great fun and have various options play.

Then there is online... which once again is a mixed bag. Some of the matched I played were great, and I even played up to 18 holes of golf online with strangers, and some were lag fests and crashed entirely. So with all this and the adventure mode which I have not touched, multiplayer both in person and online. A big cast of characters, a handful of maps with more being promised to come soon as free add ons. And this game sort of feels like Mario Tennis Aces but with golf, it feels a tad bare bones at launch and there are some key features missing. Even the box art which most Switch games made by Nintendo have reversible cases, only has the controls inside, just like Mario Tennis Aces.  The challenge mode is no different then just going to the golf mode and picking to play a course by yourself. The only unlockable so far are courses, not even characters or costumes so far. There were plenty of baffling exclusions but I will play more and update with a final review score. Maybe the adventure mode, and playing with friends, and playing online and the other modes will warrant the price. So far I have been having quite a bit of fun with the new modes, and the standard golf, so I will continue playing and having fun, but there are some noticeable problems right now that make this game a few putts short of a hole in one. I will return soon with a full review after spending more time with this game, and I have to get back to New Pokémon Snap as well. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse