Rain On Your Parade (Switch Indie Game, First Impressions)

 

(Image source. Indiegame.db) 




The last time I played a game that had me ruining peoples days, it was Untitled Goose Game, the chaos I caused and the shenanigans I got into were amazing. I love Untiled Goose Game, and when I was told there was a game like it, I had to check it out. 

Rain On Your Parade has you taking control of a rain cloud who uses various weather based skills to ruin peoples days, whether it's camping, a wedding, or a concert, this puzzle game has you wreaking all sorts of havoc. There are multiple objectives used to advance the story and collect cosmetics. Some are mandatory and some optional. 

The aesthetic and music of this game are fantastic, the music and pop up book art style look fantastic. The music is great, and the game has a really fun look. The writing is funny at some points, but a lot of the writing will date the game and focuses on a lot of references. There are a lot of current memes and trends in games mentioned, so some jokes are great and some not so much.

In terms of gameplay the game controls great, each stage has you taking on missions, where you use your water supply to ruin peoples days. Sometimes they mix it up, but you will be seeing what the whole game has to offer very quickly. Follow objectives, solve the puzzle, move on and repeat. You can customize your cloud to add a layer of fun and charm. This game is good in short bursts cause even though the writing and scenarios prove to be entertaining, I have played for an hour and half and even some of the level themes have begun repeating. The game is fun in small doses because the gameplay though fun, and can cause a lot of hilarious moments is very repetitive. And doing the same mission with a different coat of paint over and over did grow tiresome, the charming yet dated writing was not enough to keep me going.

Going back to the comparison to Untitled Goose Game, they both are fun puzzle games about causing chaos, yet that game knew when to wrap it up. The game had objectives but was super short, with a little bit of post game to make it fun and memorable and added replayability. Also Goose Game had a layer of charm because you could do the puzzles in any order and a ton of fun stuff that didn't apply to just mess around and have fun. This game has a set solution to each puzzle which limits the fun you can have because there are bonus and set objectives thus limiting the amount of random chaos.

I will continue to play this game and post my updated thoughts in the future, so I will continue but at the moment I would say puzzle game fans should like me get this game on sale if they are curious, and I am mixed on how I feel about this game at the moment, but will share my updated thoughts soon! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse