Battle Royales And Me

 The battle royale genre is one I am familiar with and not at the same time, I used to play a ton of Fornite but fell off and never returned, I have never once tried APEX or Call of Duty Battlegrounds. My experience with this genre is different and I wanted to share my story.

One factor to me that is key is interest, if I the game does not appeal to me I will not even try it, even if it's free. Games like Fall Guys, Tetris 99, and Pac Man 99 appeal to me over APEX for another reason. They have to be unique, countless games have modes where you drop in and have to be the last one standing. But the three I just listed previously all do it in a different way then killing your opponent, you outlast by being the best at Tetris or a wacky game show with crazy obstacles. So they have to stand out and be different then the rest. Nothing against the standard genre, and if you enjoy that, then I am glad for you. But for me personally it has to be different. 

Another is how it can keep me engaged, whether in single or multiplayer. I can play quite a few rounds of Fall Guys with friends or alone, I love the aesthetic of the game, and it is very easy to hop in and play a few rounds, same with Tetris and Pac Man 99. They can be great in short bursts and maybe add something to bring me back every season thus increasing playability. With games like Fornite they added new modes but they still felt the same, just an extension of the core gameplay. And the same can be true of Fall Guys and Tetris 99 with their new seasons and maximus cups, but I found myself enjoying that gameplay more. For me personally battle royales work at their best in short, quick matches, win or lose and then get back in the game. Not a round that lasts 15 to 20 minutes if you are good, and is incredibly short if you are bad or mess up. For example Fall Guys if you lose, can have you right back in after claiming your prizes right away, the matches may go on longer if you are doing well, but because their minigame changes the environment does also. The game switches up enough mid game to keep me engaged. Tetris 99 may stay the same, but whether i get 98th or 2nd, the matches go by so quickly I find myself back in the game quickly for a few matches. 

So for me it is all about engagement on a multiplayer and single player level, and how well it appeals to me. And just because it may not appeal to me does not mean it can't appeal to you, but there is a new battle royale approaching, one I have tried the beta for, so lets see if I will get KNOCKED back by this one, or will it get THROWN OUT quicker then some other games, let's see if I have a BALL or not in the next post. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse