BomberMan DS

 I love retro hunting, especially for my 3DS, the DS and 3DS have so many great games that both well known and as hidden gems. I  recently got a few DS and 3DS games that I plan on covering in the near future as well as revisiting some of my old favorites from my collection. While out I saw Bomber Man DS and was excited, I loved Super BomberMan R and was looking for a fun portable game to enjoy, that could feel like a fun portable arcade style experience. Was this game a great addition to my collection? 

This game has you playing classic BomberMan where you navigate a maze, collecting power ups, and blasting your way to victory. There were several modes but I stuck with the single player side of things, namely the base game and the story mode. So was this more of the same fun I had with later entries, proving that later entries sometimes recycle game elements because they are so good? In this case, no. 

This game moves so slow, and unlike other versions of the game, the powerups didn't stack, I had to click them on the bottom screen. Even the version I had on my old IPOD Nano staked power ups. This slowed and stopped gameplay so quickly and even before then this game was incredibly slow. BomberMan, the enemies, even the explosions felt marred by lag. The presentation was not super impressive either, okay visuals and very forgettable music. Story mode has you blowing up blocks to find the exit while under a strict time limit, which with the game speed, and even with speed up power ups, proved difficult. I dropped the game very quickly, after only a couple hours of gameplay, that felt like much longer.

This was a case of retro game hunting and curiosity gone wrong. 

(Not good, there are better ports and versions of BomberMan out there, too slow for its own good, with lackluster presentation)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse