Metal Slug Tactics Reaction

E3 season has begun today with Summer Games Fest and Day Of The Devs which I will be covering over on the podcast. Not many games during Summer Games Fest stood out to me, but one did. Metal Slug Tactics, helmed by the studio that gave us Streets Of Rage 4 and the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge. This was completely unexpected but I loved the trailer and wanted to share my thoughts.

This game is as the title implies a tactics game in the style of XCOM or Advance Wars. The artstyle and gameplay trailer made me think of Into The Breach, a game that has been on my radar for some time that I may have to get to sooner then later. I love this genre and have played the Advance Wars countless times. I have played the Metal Slug games a few times on consoles and even in the arcade and really enjoyed them. The sprite work looks on par with the classic series and it really excites me.

Not many of the games from this event stood out to me, but seeing an indie studio bringing back a classic franchise in a new way excited me. This might also lead to the series being brought back and getting a new entry done in the classic style. I am beyond excited to give this game a try, I have been looking for a new tactics game to play so I am definitely going to check this one out. The trailer has some really fun animations in it, and the gameplay looked great.  This studio has been bringing back retro style games in great ways lately, so I am personally excited.

I highly recommend giving the trailer a watch if not, there were some other gams announced and you may enjoy them. But anyone looking for a new tactics game, this might be it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse