Steam World Dig A Fistful Of Dirt


 (Image Source: Nintendo Everything.Com)

I have played this game plenty of times, but I decide to revisit it for this post. I have this game on multiple systems, because when it goes on sale it can get as low as a dollar, last time I played it on PS4 but this time I played it on the switch, and I will recommend it on both. In this game you dig, get money, cash in, and repeat, so what makes this game stand out? Let's DIG into the gameplay.

The presentation in this game is a mixed, the graphics are fine, but the music is atmospheric and sometimes non existent, while the story is ho hum if not slightly confusing. Maybe the second game which I still have not played yet, but as a self contained game it was not what kept me playing. 

What kept me playing was the gameplay, you begin just digging in the mine collecting more power ups and purchasing upgrades as you do. You start with a base set of moves that gives you just enough to maneuver, get some loot buy upgrades and progress. Every time you play the game the mine is randomly generated leading to new routes and experiences. This game is fantastic the game play is addicting, giving you power ups at a great pace that leads to you wanting to use them to get more loot. The sense of progression and pace in this gameplay combined with the excellent gameplay make this game a must. I always find myself playing this game in two or three sittings, finding myself so engrossed that I did not realize I was at the end. The game may be short but is the perfect length, making the game very replayable. If you lose, you drop your loot, sometimes in places where it can be reclaimed, other times it can not be. You also lose money to be rebuilt and respawn in town, there are ways to reclaim your money or regain it again quickly. There are so many paths to take as you form a plan and change it on the fly, there is a good number of enemies as well as challenge rooms to get more loot. The challenge rooms don't make you drop your loot, and respawn you out again to try again, only making you lose your progress. 

The game controls great, there is a decent variety of environments and even though the game takes place mostly in two locations they find ways to change things up. The environment slowly changes as you go deeper and deeper, collecting more upgrades. The progression and pacing is amazing, tied to fantastic gameplay that you can visit again and again this game is a must. This game goes on sale constantly and is on multiple consoles and it is a great buy. If you want a fun game that doesn't overstay its welcome that can be revisited and changes every time then this game is something that anyone can DIG. 

(Great gameplay, fun, replayable, music and presentation are mixed, and story is blah and slightly confusing, super fun gameplay that I can play over and over, prefect length) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse