Holiday Buyers Guide (Indie Games)(Vol. 1)

 It is that time of year again, gift giving, shopping and hearing those classic songs in every store you go to. Whether that gift is to yourself or to a friend, I decided to compile a list of Indie games that I think would make great gifts or great uses of any holiday gift cards you may receive. In no particular order here are some games that I think are very much worth your time. 

The Shantae Series: 

Yes an entire series, but let me explain. Every game in this series is worth your time, if I had to pick only one then it would be Pirate's Curse but each one is simply phenomenal. This series is a platforming and sometimes metroidvania at it's best, great writing, amazing music and fantastic gameplay. Half Genie Hero and Seven Sirens or the older titles, all are worth your time.

Slayin 2

If you want Arcade fun with a ton of variety this game is a great pick. The sprite work is fantastic and the gameplay has so much variety, if you play this game you are sure to find a play style that suits you best. A fantastic arcade style game with a story mode and an arcade game style of gameplay.

BlitzBreaker:

This fast paced arcade puzzle game is fantastic. The soundtrack is amazing and each level will have you trying and trying again to best it. This game may be challenging but the game play is so fun and the pacing is so fun, I found myself trying and trying again until I found the best path to victory.

Dodo Peak:

This is a fun and charming puzzle game done in the style of Q-Bert. This game will have you guiding and navigating a dodo to safety from stage to stage, avoiding obstacles, good for short bursts or longer sessions, this is a puzzle game that makes for a great way to pass some time. 

Celeste: 

One of the best platformers I have ever played, though challenging the game is so well made, and is so balanced that it had me feeling determined instead of frustrated. I would find myself trying over and over because I wanted to see the story play out, unlock more challenges and see what this game had instore. The music and atmosphere is very calm while holding a beauitful narrative that is relatable and down to earth. The gameplay is fantastic, the graphics, story, and music are great, this game is a must.

Thank you for reading, and over on the Late Night Sprites podcast which can be listened to on most podcast based platforms, I made a guide for triple A games. Stay safe, have a good holiday season and happy gaming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse