My Thoughts On Katrielle's Mystery Journey: Katrielle And The Millionaire's Conspiracy DX(Switch)

 The Professor Layton series is very near and dear to my heart, and when they announced a sequel series I was interested. Alas I never got the 3DS original but did get the port with even more content and puzzles that came to the Nintendo Switch. So how does this game stack up against the series that shares it's last name? 

At the point of this post, I would say I am a little over the halfway point of the game. So instead of a full-on review, I figured I would give my thoughts now for the conclusion of puzzle month, and then give my extended thoughts at a later date. I have played the game about eight hours and that is with exploring and trying out some of the bonus features, so I have seen quite a bit of this game.

This game is a fantastic follow up. The plot is told episodically through cases that are fun and entertaining. As you follow Katrielle Layton, her assistant Ernest, and talking dog Sherlock. Yes, talking dog. There are plot threads that go through the entire game, but this game does stand out on its own. Go from case to case gathering clues and solving puzzles to do so as you build your new detective agency. This game is worth playing so I am not going to go too far into plot. Each character from the main cast to reoccurring side characters to even one-off characters are memorable. The writing is fun, lighthearted, comedic, and at times very sweet. There are nods to the series that proceeds this follow up but they are minute and are not necessary to enjoy this game.

The music and graphics are great, like an animated series come to life. There is voice acting in and out of gameplay and animated cutscenes. The music fits every situation and environment perfectly. The presentation is warm and welcoming, great to play in short bursts or long sessions. You go from place-to-place solving puzzles, from math, to riddles, and so much more, the variety in puzzles in this game stands alongside the best of the other Layton titles. When not advancing the plot there are downloadable puzzles, collectibles, outfits, bonus cutscenes, side puzzles that are their own contained modes, and tons more.

This game can be used with a pointed joycon but i recommend playing in handheld mode. It works perfectly and the touch screen fits every puzzle and this style of game like a glove. My only tip is when you go to a new area tap anything and everything, you may get a fun piece of dialogue, a goodie, or even a hidden puzzle. There are even downloadable puzzles, and there are so many puzzles and modes already this game is definitely worth its base price tag. This game with the amount of content wrapped into a charming story with great and likeable characters is a steal on sale. 

This game is so great, with great music, writing, and fantastic gameplay, that I will finish it. I may be over halfway, but I find this game enjoyable, relaxing, and great for sessions both long and short. Playing this game on a rainy or cold day adds a layer of coziness with the warm and gentle world. The game is a must for Layton fans or people who want a good puzzle game. If you like this, I highly recommend going back to the series prior, all the games are fantastic.  I don't see many flaws aside from maybe some puzzles repeating, and sometimes the writing drags out and some parts are a bit chatty. Aside from those very minute gripes this game is nothing short of fun. 

My thoughts: So far a great time, will keep playing to the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse