Super Mario Odessey Is Awesome (Nintendo Switch)


 (Image Source: Nintendo Life Dot Com)

Today is in fact MAR10 Day, and I wish a happy Mario themed day to all. This series is one of if not my absolute favorite in all of gaming, from the main games, to the spin offs, and more. This series has always brought joy to my life, and I decided to talk about one of my favorite entries in the franchise. This game made me want to buy a Nintendo Switch more then ever before when I saw it being shown at E3 that year, and my mother gave this game to me as a gift for graduating college. So instead of doing a big review, I decided to reminisce a little instead, and talk about everything I love in this game.

This game controls fantastically, the amount of mobility you have in this game is next to none and the amount of cool tricks you can do is fantastic. The added bonus of using Cappy to become enimies is super well implemented and leads to a ton of fun platforming and level, but also he can be used for combat and to add to the already giant move pool to traverse the vast stages. You can throw Cappy, bounce off of him, and dive to a platform you could not reach, after a triple jump! And that is just one of the dozens of awesome tricks you can do in this game to get one of the hundreds of power moons. Now some might complain that in the stages there are too many power moons, but I actually like that, it allows for tons of different speed running opportunities, routes of gameplay, options of how long you want to stay in the world, I think there are a lot but they do lead to some fun options. 

The presentation is incredible, the cutscenes, music, and levels all look and sound fantastic. The music and level remixes in said level are a treat for the ears, and every place you visit in this vast world stands out. This game is filled to the brim with charm from the animations, the details of environment effecting one of Mario's different outfits, the expressiveness and personality of all the characters you meet. This game is delight from start to finish. 

The worlds are super fun, some are super large, and some are quite small, and even though I do not like all of them, I like a good seventy five percent of them. They are vibrant, fun to explore, and the ones that stand out, really stand out. Wooded Kingdom, Bowser's Kingdom, and Seaside Kingdom are all a joy to go through, but my personal favorite is New Donk City. And even the kingdoms that I am not the biggest fan of going through still have fun aspects in them and I enjoy them to an extent, they are good just not great. There are tons of fun secrets to find and the each level can be as long or as short as you want them, you can stay around after progressing the story, progress the story and come back, or get enough moons and just keep going. 

There is also an amazing finale and a fantastic post game, also taking locations you have been to and making them almost new by adding to them. This game is great from start to finish, the boss fights are fun, the levels are fun to traverse, and the presentation makes it a fantastic and welcoming journey. This game is always a relaxing and fun time for me, so much so I play through it at least once a year, this game has a ton to do and gives you the ability to choose how much you want to do and where. This is one of my faveorite Mario games in the entire series, and it is a trip I love going on, over and over. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse