I Played Pokémon Puzzle League For The First Time

You can't play them all, no matter how many games you pick up some will just slip through the cracks or into the backlog. This game was one that I have always wanted to try and when it was added to the N64 Online Expansion pass, I had to give it a go. A puzzle game in the style of Panel De Pon or Tetris Attack, later rebranded to Planet Puzzle League, this is the only Pokémon game I know that is directly tied to the anime, and I do enjoy a good puzzle game, so it is time to see what I have missed and if I can at least be the very best like no one ever was when it comes to puzzles. I am not going to try when it comes to regular Pokémon have you seen the competitive scene? That is nothing short of crazy and I have nothing but respect for people who can do that, but for me, not so much. 

This game has you flipping blocks, and sometimes dropping them to match three or more of the same block and get combos. The screen will rise for both you and your opponent, and if one side or the other gets combos, different blocks will drop to fill up your screen or theirs. First one to get their screen filled loses and the match is decided. This game is very easy to play, great to control, but hard to master. The game has plenty of modes to offer for both single and multiplayer including the story, which is where I spent most if not all of my time.

The narrative, including a fully animated cutscene to introduce the audience to the game, and some voice acting throughout the game has anime protagonist Ash Ketchem taking on the puzzle league, which is full of familiar faces from the earlier seasons of the anime. You will play matches where it just takes one win to advance with some fun dialogue sprinkled in throughout each match. The presentation is fun and the music is great, there is only one gripe. The voice clips can be a tad excessive but aside from that the presentation is good in gameplay and outside of it. It is simple but very charming and still looks fairly good for a game of its era. 

The gameplay is fun and what you see is what you get. Lots of puzzle stacking options and in many ways. I enjoyed this game is short bursts as someone who also did not play Tetris Attack until I was in college, the gameplay is simple but tons of fun. It can be challenging or very relaxing based on the mood of the player, I can see myself playing this to relax or when I am in the mood for a puzzle game.

The presentation is good, there is plenty to do in single and in multiplayer, and it can be just a fun relaxing time. I am glad I picked this up and finally got to play it, I enjoyed the game aside from one or two minor inconveniences I had a blast the whole time. The story mode was charming and fun to play, so if you are in the mood for a puzzle game, this is a good option. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse