Genres That People Love That I Appreciate... From A Distance

Ever try a game that just does not fit right for you? Maybe you can't get into the mechanics, or the atmosphere, or even perhaps the narrative. You pick up a game that you have always felt drawn to even though you haven't played a single game from this series before. Perhaps reviews are raving all over this game, or maybe your friends won't stop talking about it. Whatever the reason, you pick the game up and perhaps you end up finding a new favorite, or maybe your gut feeling was right and it is not for you, but you gave it an honest try. 

Trying games that you have never played before can lead to new experiences and great memories. It could lead to witnessing a well written story, or maybe something to play with friends that can make the hours disappear. With me recently I was never too big into JRPG's but now I have given some a try like One Piece Odessey, and Dragon Quest, and I have found myself really enjoying them. But sometimes something just doesn't click, no matter how much you click the buttons on the controller. 

Some games for me just have never been my genre, namely sports games unless they star a certain Nintendo mascot known to Wa Hoo. I used to play Madden and NBA games with my friends but unless there was an arcade style feel like say NBA Jam or something that made it feel less like the sport then I lose interest fast. 

One genre that I love to watch but can not get into are metroidvanias, another one I can sometimes get into but quit often expect for rare cases are rouge likes. Sometimes I just like watching people stream or make videos about the genres they love even if I can not get into them. I have tried many from both of these such as Spelunky or Metroid Dread, and I find myself getting lost or giving up. I admire the games but no matter how hard I try, I lose heart and put the game down. 

I respect some games but I do encourage and will continue to try new things, just like what I did with RPGS, you never will know until you try. The gaming space has room for all sorts of games and sometimes I may not enjoy playing a game but I can watch someone stream or make a video about the game and enjoy that. Try new things, and if it doesn't stick, that doesn't mean you have to stick with it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse