I Saw The Funny Girl Revival On Tour


 Image Source: Braodway.Com

Ever go and see a show based on hearing one song and knowing nothing else? Well very recently I did, I saw the touring cast of the Funny Girl revival and decided to share my thoughts today. The last show I saw was in January, and the wait between that and the tail end of September was definitely a long one, but this show made it worth it. I love theater of all kinds, whether it is live, taped, community, Broadway tours, and more, it is my true favorite form of music, I love musicals of all kinds. This was a show that I only knew of through the song "Don't Rain On My Parade", After seeing the show fairly recently, I gave myself some time to think about it and listen to the cast album a couple times for the songs to sit in, and now it is time to share. 

After seeing the show, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny, full of good one-liners and some good physical comedy as well, with some really good music. There was lots of great choreography and tap dancing, and the performances were great. Some great group numbers, solo numbers, upbeat fun songs,  slow-love ballads, and duets. This show is entertaining, loosely following the career and love life of Broadway actress Fanny Bryce, the show has a strong comedic edge while also having a message of loving yourself even if that means standing on your own.

The set was minimalistic but worked very well, it set the scene and the backgrounds looked really good. Changing so many locations so quickly meant using some set pieces but mostly the backgrounds to set the scene, and this show did well with the set. The music to transition scenes and background music when in play also was great and charming. The costumes are fun, bright, and vibrant, changing over time and working super well alongside the set, to set the scene but never distract. 

This is a golden age show, from the classic era of musicals, where love ballads were plentiful, being in love was a must, showing a society where if you don't fit the mold, make yourself fit. And this is where our star comes in, even though she is goofy, and off balance, not described as the usual pretty girl, Fanny uses her talents to win over the audience quickly and with charming number after number. Unlike some shows this one can still be put on today, with its progressive female lead with dreams, and the message the show hangs on. The characters are likable and have that timeless feel, whether in moments comedic or more dramatic. The plot twists and turns but ends on a powerful note, I enjoyed it so much, that I would see this show again.

The touring cast did so incredibly well. Not every song was my favorite, but some of them were so sweeping, the dance numbers were great, and every single solo Franny song was an absolute smash. There were a couple songs from the side characters that were well performed as well, including the ensemble, and when I went back to the album I found myself listening to all of it a time or two, and then most of it going forward. I can see myself listening to the whole album from time to time, the songs infuse heart, and comedy, and are sometimes super fun and inspiring at the same time, or even just inspiring. The songs are great and a fun time, I have not had so much with a classic show since Hello Dolly and Music Man (Still the Robert Preston version). 

The moments between songs were easy to follow and were filled with great character moments, whether comedic or dramatic. There are some more heavy moments that try our lead which only makes the message stand stronger, on being independent, even when hurt by someone you love. Not letting anyone or anything rain on your parade. That song is alluded to in another show-stopping song "I'm The Greatest Star" and then being right before intermission  "Don't Rain On My Parade" are two of the highlights that bring the house down tremendously. Those are my two favorite songs, but I like plenty of others as well including "Who Taught Her Everything She Knows", "If A Girl Isn't Pretty", "People", "Temporary Arrangement", and some of the reprises.  Great songs, great character moments, and a timeless message tie this up with a nice bow into a great time at the theater.

I am so glad I saw this live, doubly surprised by not knowing the plot or any songs aside from one. Seeing a touring cast perform, who did incredible is always a treat, and brings the arts to so many places. I am glad I saw this show and will be remembering the jokes, songs, and story, for years to come, and would happily see it again. This star is truly great, inspiring the audience to never let life rain on her parade. and is a show worth seeing, this is a classic worth keeping around.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse