Self Love (Spider Man Across The Spiderverse)

I have analyzed so many songs from musicals and shows, but now it's time to go through a song from a movie. And why not go through my favorite film so far to be released in 2023. Spider-Man Across The Spiderverse is one of those films that I will have to dive into, as well as the film that preceded it. Both of them are two of my favorite films of all time and I will have to discuss, the story, the music, plots, and styles of them both in great detail at a later date. For my first foray into the Spidererse, I thought I would discuss a song that I have continued listening to since I looked it up after first hearing it in the film. The song is called Self Love, and I want to dive into it fully, so there are some light spoilers for the movie, but that is because it ties into the fabric of the song itself. 

The song desribes a girl who is far from home, not being trusted, needing to learn to love herself and find different friends perhaps. Not being trusted even to the point of being believed to be guilty and arrested. Truly far away from home in more ways than one. This song encapsulates Gwen's character and her story arc in the movie. Feeling far away from a home that she doesn't feel welcome in, and not being trusted by Miles or even her Dad, she is truly alone.

The instrumentation is so well made, matching with the lyrics and even ending with dialogue from the movie. The last part is added not even breaking the flow of this song. It is a calm and relaxing song, despite the lyrics proving to be a sad and dire situation, the music is very calming. I find myself listening to this song and relaxing often. I find myself after a long day when I get home putting this on and just lying down. Much like a couple songs from the soundtrack of the first movie, this one stood out for me for the second.

This song is called self-love because that is what the character needs to learn, for the second film many of the pieces of music are tied to a certain player in this wide cast. From songs applying to certain characters or even music cues, this one belongs to Gwen. The music video that Sony posted of this song features mainly her, and her big scenes of the movie, this is her song.

A loner who longs to be a part of a community that is far from home. Far from suburban towns, far from the comfort that many people know. Lost in a world where those closest to her do not trust her at all, she questions how she can even love herself at a time like this. Trapped in her own head, still wanting to dream big and connect with others but feeling distant. Saying that those who do not trust her do not even love themselves either.

A powerful set of lyrics for a storyline that may not be on the scale of being a superhero yet one the audience can connect with. And this song drives it home, A song about feeling alone, yet is super calming and is a great listen. The music is relaxing, the lyrics hiding a strong message, while still being a good song. I will still find myself listening to this one over and over, to unwind and relax or even to reflect. This is a song that I love myself, and you just may too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix)

The Pokemon Concierge

Tell Your Own Story, Do Your Own Thing: One Thing I Learned From Across The Spiderverse